Monday, October 31, 2011

There's a bit of magic in everything

Happy Halloween, all!


On that note and in the tradition of my artist quote entries on Love and Positivity, I thought I'd share some artist quotes on Magic...This is a holiday of magic and witchcraft, after all. ;)

"I don't think that there is anything that is really magical unless it has a terrifying quality."
- Andrew Wyeth

"Mastery is the rudder, Mystery is the sail and Magic the wind to move you in your chosen direction." - Jack White (musician)

"If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill, take it and push it as far as it will go, push it beyond where it has ever been before, push it to the wildest edge of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic." - Tom Robbins

"Painting isn't an aesthetic operation; it's a form of magic designed as a mediator between this strange, hostile world and us, a way of seizing the power by giving form to our terrors as well as our desires." - Pablo Picasso
(Yes, this pointillism piece IS a Picasso...its in his museum in Barcelona. I've seen it in person - Fantastic!)

"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning..."
- Joseph Priestly (English theologian, philosopher, educator, political theorist)

"Painting is like magic to me. You touch the paper with colors and an image appears! A realist will tell you it's not magic at all but a science of understanding colors and textures. I'd rather look at painting as magic!" - Brenda Grounds McCart


"I am interested in making the simple profound, so my own backyard can be inspirational. I just walk out my door and it's all there. By painting simply, magic happens."
- Peter Fiore

"I see painting as an evocative magic, and there must always be a random factor in magic, one which must be constantly changed and renewed." - William S. Burroughs

"The stars were my best friends. The air was full of legends and phantoms, full of mythical and fairy tale creatures, which suddenly flew away over the roof, so that one was at one with the firmament." - Marc Chagall

No comments:

Post a Comment