Sunday, March 6, 2011

Andy Warhol was a funny guy

On Friday, a friend of mine and I attended a talk on Andy Warhol in honor of IU opening their "Shot by Andy Warhol" special exhibit. This show displays roughly 79 of Warhol's polaroids and photographic prints from an original group of 150+ endowed by the Andy Warhol Photographic Legacy Program. This program curated and distributed groups of roughly 150 photographs to all over the United States, including to USCalifornia, where our speaker, Associate Professor of Art History and Director of the Contemporary Project atUSC, Richard Meyer, was from. It was an absolutely delightful talk and though I'm not huge on contemporary art or any of that, I did come away knowing one thing...

Andy Warhol was a funny guy.


So, rather than give you a background on Warhol, which I'm sure many of you know...I just wanted to share some of the things Warhol has said (and some examples of his celebrity portraiture...Bianca Jagger, Sylvester Stalone, Debbie Herry). Hopefully you'll find them intriguing. :)

"But I always say, one's company, two's a crowd, three's a party."


"I am a deeply superficial person."


"I had a lot of dates but I decided to stay home and dye my eyebrows."


"I have Social Disease. I have to go out every night. If I stay home one night I start spreading rumors to my dogs."


"I love Los Angeles. I love Hollywood. They're beautiful. Everybody's plastic, but I love plastic. I want to be plastic."


"I always think about what it means to wear eyeglasses. When you get used to glasses you don't know how far you could really see. I think about all the people before eyeglasses were invented. It must have been weird because everyone was seeing in different ways according to how bad their eyes were. Now, eyeglasses standardize everyone's vision to 20-20. That's an example of everyone becoming more alike. Everyone could be seeing at different levels if it weren't for glasses."

"Muscles are great...everyone should have at least one they can show off."


"I never think that people die. They just go to department stores."


"It would be very glamourous to be reincarnated as a great big ring on Liz Taylor's finger."


"When I got my first television set, I stopped caring so much about having close relationships."


"Being born is like being kidnapped. And then sold into slavery."


"I like to be the right thing in the wrong place and the wrong thing in the right place. Being the right thing in the wrong place and the wrong thing in the right place is worth it because something interesting always happens."


"What's great about this country is America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same thing as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you know that the President drinks Coke, Liz Taylor drinks Coke, and just think, you can drink Coke, too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All Cokes are the same and all Cokes are good."

No comments:

Post a Comment